Archive

Pages

COOK: Tagliatelle with Caramelised Onions and Dill Yogurt Sauce






So the first thing you’ll notice if you live with me is : I never cook. Never.  My supermarket basket is filled exclusively with salted snacks, pre-made sandwiches and microwave popcorn. On the odd occasion I want hot food Dominoes is merely a phone call away. 

However it wasn't always  this way.  Back in High school  I wasn't sharing a flat for 5 people with a kitchen for half a person. I used to love cooking and baking. I even had bake-offs with my friends ( hint just double the sugar in the recipe and you'll win every time). 

Now back at home where I can command the kitchen I got back into the groove and adapted this Turkish recipe. My Gran told me “lovely Beth” and my Grandad (the quiet type) scraped his plate which equals a winner winner chicken dinner in my mind. 

Here is it:

Tagliatelle with caramelised onions and dill yogurt sauce
(This comfortably served 3)

INGREDIENTS
  
4 medium onions very finely sliced
3 tbsp olive oil
2 bay leaves
Lots of Salt and Pepper 
2 tbsp cinnamon 
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3-4 tbsp sugar 

145g tagliatelle (pasta)
50g Greek yogurt
1½ tbsp milk or buttermilk
2 tbsp dill 
finely crumbled feta to serve





METHOD


  1. Put the onions in large pot with the olive oil, bay leaves and cinnamon. Cook over a medium heat, stirring the onions, until golden.
  2. Add the garlic and cook for a further two minutes.
  3. Add a splash of water, turn the heat down and leave until the onions are caramelised, about 35 minutes. Check on them often and stir to ensure they’re not too dry.
  4. 15 minutes before the onions are ready, begin to boil the tagliatelle in water with a little salt. 
  5. When the onions are totally soft, remove the lid, season with lots of salt and pepper and boil until any excess liquid is evaporated.
  6. Add the yogurt and milk or buttermilk to the onions and heat through but don’t boil. 
  7. Drain the pasta and toss it into the pot with the onions, adding the dill.
  8. Serve the pasta with a liberal amount of crumbled feta and a little dill on top. 

1 comment:

  1. I can confirm that the result of the cooking was excellent!

    ReplyDelete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com